The Michigan Education Data Center can release data to an institution of higher education, a non-profit research institution, or a government
agency (including schools and school districts) located within the United States. Researchers requesting data must have their primary affiliation
with an eligible institution, or be a currently enrolled student in a doctoral program at an eligible institution.
Research proposals must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for approval:
- The research project has been granted IRB approval prior to application.
- Assuming the request involves individual student data, the proposal must meet the criteria outlined under FERPA
exceptions justifying the use of individual student data without prior consent.
- The requested data elements are not publicly available.
- The application requests data elements that are available to MERI and MEDC.
- The application clearly indicates how the requested data will be used to address the research questions.
The MERI research application is an online form. You can review all application fields in this sample application ahead of completing the online form.
Prior to starting your application:
- Review FERPA exceptions and complete FERPA
- Ask all members of your research team who will be included as part of this application to complete FERPA training.
- Obtain signed confidentiality and security forms for
all research team members included in the application.
- Review application resources provided in the MERI Research Application
Deadlines for new research applications:
- March 8, 2019
- May 11, 2019
- July 12, 2019
- September 6, 2019
- November 8, 2019
Change requests will be processed on alternating months.
Deadlines to submit change requests are:
- April 12, 2019
- June 7, 2019
- August 9, 2019
- October 4, 2019
- December 6, 2019