The Michigan Education Data Center can release data to an institution of higher education, a non-profit research institution, or a government
agency (including schools and school districts) located within the United States. Researchers requesting data must have their primary affiliation
with an eligible institution, or be a currently enrolled student in a doctoral program at an eligible institution.
Research proposals must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for approval:
- The research project has been granted IRB approval prior to application.
- Assuming the request involves individual student data, the proposal must meet the criteria outlined under FERPA
exceptions justifying the use of individual student data without prior consent.
- The requested data elements are not publicly available.
- The application requests data elements that are available to MERI and MEDC.
- The application clearly indicates how the requested data will be used to address the research questions.
The MERI research application is an online form. You will need to create a Survey Monkey account to access the application.
You can review all application fields in this sample application ahead of completing the online form.
Prior to starting your application:
- Review FERPA exceptions and complete FERPA
- Ask all members of your research team who will be included as part of this application to complete FERPA training.
- Obtain signed confidentiality and security forms for
all research team members included in the application.
- Review application resources provided in the MERI Research Application
Deadlines for new research applications:
- November 1, 2019
- January 10, 2020
- March 6, 2020
- May 1, 2020
- July 1, 2020
- September 11, 2020
- November 6, 2020
Change requests will be processed on alternating months.
Deadlines to submit change requests are:
- December 6, 2019
- February 7, 2020
- April 3, 2020
- June 5, 2020
- August 7, 2020
- October 2, 2020
- December 4, 2020