To request the use of Michigan’s education data researchers should complete an application, which will be reviewed by the Michigan Education Research Institute (MERI).
STEP 1: Ensure eligibility
- MEDC can release data to researchers at an institution of higher education or a non-profit research institution.
- Researchers requesting data must have their primary affiliation with an eligible institution, or be a currently enrolled student in a doctoral program at an eligible institution.
STEP 2: Confirm that data are available through MEDC
Prior to submitting an application, researchers should review MEDC codebooks and confirm that MEDC is in possession of data and variables that are required for the study. Because the data request needs to include specific variables and data years, please use the MEDC codebooks to ensure that the variables needed are available in the years covered by the study.
MEDC is unable to provide researchers with summary statistics, aggregate counts or highly customized files, many of which are available at mischooldata.org.
Therefore, researchers should familiarize themselves with the holdings of mischooldata.org and determine whether publicly available data can be used in lieu of individual-level records to answer research questions.
For applications which require a match between program records and MEDC data, please review the process by which MEDC performs a probabilistic match between any incoming dataset and the PII dataset maintained in house.
STEP 3: Preliminary forms and training
Prior to submitting an application, researchers should:
- obtain approval from their Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- review FERPA exceptions if the request involves individual student data.
- ask all members of your research team who will be included as part of this application to complete FERPA training.
- obtain signed confidentiality and security forms for all research team members included in the application.
STEP 4: Complete the Research Application
To submit the online research application, researchers first create an account through Survey Monkey Apply. Other members of the research team can be invited as research as collaborators once an application is generated.
The MERI Research Application Guide lists all relevant steps.MERI RESEARCH APPLICATION
Upcoming application deadlines are:
- September 11, 2020
- November 6, 2020
- January 8, 2021
- March 5, 2021
- May 7, 2021
- July 9, 2021
- September 10, 2021
- November 5, 2021
- January 7, 2022
Researchers whose studies were approved prior to May 2020 should continue using this change request form for study amendments.
The deadlines for submitting change request:
- October 2, 2020
- December 4, 2020
- February 5, 2020
- February 5, 2021
- April 9, 2021
- June 4, 2021
- August 6, 2021
- October 8, 2021
- December 3, 2021
Our team is available to discuss studies and provide feedback on developing applications.